Monterey Park Life
Trailer used to haul gliders
The method by which gliders were hauled from ship to meeting. Note the car pulling the trailer.
Gliders waiting
Gliders waiting to take off in Monterey Park hills on Garfield, near Edison.
Monterey Park Glider Club, 1930
The Monterey Park Glider Club standing in front of a glider, 1930.
Glider at the edge of Alhambra airport
Glider at the edge of Alhambra airport.
Rummage
A man and a young girl taking out rummage as another man brings in a refridgerator.
Historical Heritage Commission
The Historical Heritage Commission of the City of Monterey Park with Russ Paine, George Westphaln, Louise Davis and Joe Weiss presenting the Bicentennial Report.
Joy Dilettera at the library
Joy Dilettera at the library in front of the card catalog.
National Library Week 1969
Kenny Gribble (Mayor), Vera Hutto (Library Board), Norm Jaffe (Library Board) and an Official of Foster and Kleiser at the National Library Week 1969.
Garvey School in 1894
Garvey School in 1894 with first teacher Alice McCollum. Richard Garvey Jr. was the first graduate of the school in 1899.
The first Ynez students are pictured with their teacher
The first Ynez students are pictured with their teacher. The Ynez school is the oldest school in Monterey Park. In 1913 the school opened with 51 children and 2 teachers in 2 small wooden buildings on South McPherrin Avenue, near Garvey Avenue. It was called Garvey Avenue School.
Ynez Playground Ball Champions, 1923
Ynez Playground Ball Champions, 1923
Ynez School, 1928
Ynez School, 1928.
Garfield Elementary and Alhambra High at the turn of the century
Garfield Elementary and Alhambra High students as they looked before the turn of the century when they were housed together in the farm building at the corner of Garfield Avenue and Alhambra Road (courtesy of Mrs. Frank L. Hilton).
Young , teacher and classmates in front of Ramona convent
Young Richard Garvey, teacher and classmates in front of Ramona convent. Young Richard Garvey had no school close by, so his father sent him by horse and buggy to Ramona Convent. There were just a few boys and he had a male teacher. Garvey is to the right of the teacher.
Portrait of Mrs. Richard Garvey Sr
Portrait of Mrs. Richard Garvey Sr.
Dr. J.A. Maronde, an early Ramona Acres physician, 1896
Dr. J.A. Maronde, an early Ramona Acres physician, 1896.
Park Furniture, Cliff's Java Man Catering and Cafe and a church
Park Furniture, Cliff's Java Man Catering and Cafe and a church.
Fred Chambers, pilot and Monterey Park sign painter
Fred Chambers, pilot and Monterey Park sign painter. Chambers was the instructor for old Monterey Park Glider Club in the 1920's.
Council members and others in the 1980's
Council members and others in the 1980's. David Almada, Lily Chen, Rudy Peralta, Cam Briglio and Manny Manibog are some of the council members in the photograph.
Louise Davis and 1932 Olympic Champion Frank Lubin
Louise Davis and 1932 Olympic basketball champion Frank Lubin, dated September 12, 1983.
David Almada and KTLA news
KTLA news interview in front of the Civic Center with David Almada (council member).
David Almada, Lucy Armmeian and Colin Lucas
David Almada, Lucy Arnmeian and Colin Lucas. Tree was donated to Lucy Arnmeian.
Lily Chen and David Almada receiving an award
Lily Chen and David Almada receiving an award in front of Superior Pontiac.
Soroptimist International awards ceremony (1981-1982)
Excellence Award acceptance at the Soroptimist International awards ceremony (1981-1982).
Kenny Gribble on White Cane Day
Kenny Gribble of the Lions Club handing out a white cane to an unidentified man on White Cane Day.
George Westphaln on White Cane Day
George Westphaln of the Lions Club handing out a white cane to an unidentified woman for White Cane Day.
Paul Young at White Cane Day
Paul Young of the Lions Club holding flowers while volunteering at White Cane Day.
Police and Fire Departments in 1930
Police and Fire Departments in 1930. Chief W.J. Young, Creed Branham (Engineer) and Officer Ostoich.
1991 Thank you dinner with Will Meyers
1991 Thank you dinner with Will Meyers of Southern California Edison.
Wilmer Gribble and his car taken at Garvey and Garfield, 1918
Wilmer Gribble and his car taken at Garvey and Garfield, 1918. Note the Gribble building in the background, which would later become the Boys & Girls Club.
Council members taking oath
Pauline Lemar, David Almada, Lily Chen (first Chinese American council member) and Rudy Peralta taking an oath. Manny Maibog and George Westphaln are in the background.
Portrait of Monroe E. Northrop
Portrait of Monroe E. Northrop, early resident of Monterey Park, 1926.
The Kidds Annual Christmas Display
The Kidds Annual Christmas Display. This popular animated display at 338 W. Newmark was an annual tradition from 1949 to 1980. This photograph appears to be part of a collection from Emily Dixon Lambert about growing up on Orange Avenue in 1914.
Sheet music for the Song
Sheet music for the Song "Monterey Park" by Lou Bucci.
Flyer for Monterey Park Yesterday
Flyer for Monterey Park Yesterday, including many photos from the 1920's. The first photo is of the first Rose Parade Queen Miss Olivia Hunt, taken in 1926 at the southeast corner of Garvey and Ramona in a Ford lent by the Bell Ford dealership on Garvey Ave. The second photo is a pre-opening sale with lots of descriptive text of land values as advertised in a Monterey Park Progress add of October 26, 1923. The third photo is of the Police Fire Station at 158 West Garvey Ave in the late 1920's. The fourth photo is a view of a well-attended formal opening of Midwick View Estates showing the Cascades, October 6, 1929. The last photo is of Browning Well No.1 at Garvey and Orange Avenues in the late 1920's.
Mancha Kurilich, successful canidate for Alhambra School Board and grandaughter of Mancha Bruggemeyer
Mancha Kurilich, successful canidate for Alhambra School Board and grandaughter of Mancha Bruggemeyer.
Portrait of Richard Garvey
Portrait of Richard Garvey.
Ed Kretz Motorcycles shop with many of the family and community on motorcycles
Ed Kretz Motorcycles shop with many of the family and community on motorcycles. Ed Kretz Sr., Ed Kretz Jr., Irene Kretz and Donna Kretz.
Aerial view of Monterey Park in 1949
Aerial view of Monterey Park in 1949. Ed Kretz Motorcycles, a garage and a car dealership are visible.
Laura Scudder, the 'Potato Chip Queen'
Laura Scudder, the "Potato Chip Queen." Laura Scudder pioneered the sealing of potato chip bags to contain freshness. She opened her food company in 1926 in Monterey Park.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank McGuinness taking a walk to the old adobe house
Mr. and Mrs. Frank McGuinness taking a walk to the old adobe house which was somewhere south of Graves and West of Garfield. It no longer stands. From the Fernandes Collection.
Frank McGuinness is walking south on the footpath to the side of Garfield Ave
Frank McGuinness is walking south on the footpath to the side of Garfield Ave. The tree is where Bank of America now stands. From the Fernandes Collection.
Mr. Browning and his two sons and a neighbor boy on horseback on Garvey Avenue
Mr. Browning and his two sons and a neighbor boy on horseback on Garvey Avenue on the northside of the street, opposite the Browning Residence and real estate office. From the Browning Collection.
Ralph Josten in a canoe at Big Garvey Dam in 1912
Ralph Josten in a canoe at Big Garvey Dam in 1912. This site was about where Garvey Ranch Park is located now. From the Josten Collection.
Parades at the corner of Garfield and Garvey
Parades at the corner of Garfield and Garvey. One of the floats in a clean-up parade at the end of WWII. Hill Bros. had an appliance store in the building in the background, which is now occupied by Bank of America. The man on the top of the little flat is Dave Aitken with paint brush. His daughter Jessie is playing a small organ inside the little house. From the Aitken Collection.
Daisy Hunt, later Mrs. Fernandes, in an early plane owned by Ed Fernandes
Daisy Hunt, later Mrs. Fernandes, in an early plane owned by Ed Fernandes. From the Fernandes Collection.
The Red Car in July 1914
The Red Car in July 1914. The Red Car brought commuters to Ramona Acres. This is the stop at Garfield Avenue. The red cars were discontinued when the San Bernadino Freeway was built. From the Fernandes collection.
Mr. Hinton in Reo in 1914 with top and without a one-cylinder engine
Mr. Hinton in Reo in 1914 with top and without a one-cylinder engine. From the Hinton Collection.
Don Antonio Maria Lugo was an early landowner and was granted 30,000 acres of land from Lynwood to Monterey Park
Don Antonio Maria Lugo was an early landowner and was granted 30,000 acres of land extending from where Lynwood is today and as far north as the hilly section of Monterey Park.
Mr. Ben Tripp with son in front of orchard trees on Hellman Ranch
Mr. Ben Tripp with son in front of orchard trees on Hellman Ranch. Hellman Ranch consisted of ten acres of orchards on the southside of Garvey between Alhambra, Orange and Edgely. Mr. Ben Tripp was caretaker from 1916-1928. It was owned by I.W. Hellman, who lived in Los Angeles and came out to the country to get fresh produce and poultry.
Summer celebration at the Garvey Ranch House in 1910
Summer celebration at the Garvey Ranch House in 1910. Musicians and wine barrels can be seen at the bottom of the picture.
Portrait of Harris Newmark, developer of Montebello who bought part of the Repetto ranch in 1886
Portrait of Isaac Hellman, who developed Hellman Ranch.
Portrait of Harris Newmark, developer of Montebello who bought part of the Repetto ranch in 1886
Portrait of Harris Newmark, developer of Montebello who bought part of the Repetto ranch in 1886.
Newspaper ad for real estate in Ramona Acres
Newspaper ad for real estate in Ramona Acres. The title of the paper is The Glories of a Foothill Situation and it features properties in Sierra Park, Ramona Acres, Sagamore Hills. The real estate company appears to be Janss Investment Company of Los Angeles.
John H. Dutcher, first mayor of Monterey Park
John H. Dutcher, the first mayor of Monterey Park, who served from 1916-1922.
The Articles of Incorporation of Monterey Park from May 29, 1916
The Articles of Incorporation of Monterey Park from May 29, 1916. Signed by Frank C. Jordan, Secretary of State for California.
Tiburcio Vasquez, a notorious bandit who raided rich estates in the Southland for years
Tiburcio Vasquez, a notorious bandit who raided rich estates in the Southland for years. Vasquez and his gang raided Repetto's Ranch, however Repetto had no cash, so he sent his nephew for cash. His nephew returned with lawmen who captured and later hanged Vasquez. A rumor circulated that Vasquez hid $40,000 in gold on Repetto's Ranch, however the gold was never found.
Arthur Langley, City Clerk from 1916-1956
Arthur Langley, City Clerk from 1916-1956. Langly had one of the longest term of service for a city official. Langley Avenue was named for him.
Neetneves social club meeting at 622 De la Fuente St in 1952
Neetneves social club meeting at 622 De la Fuente St in 1952. Neetvneves is seventeen spelled backwards. Some present include Helen Walker, Eva Gribble, Vera Ball, Enid Miller, Ruth Arbuckle and Alice Wilson. From Leon R. Walker M.D. Collection.
1947-1948 Pioneer Days Parade
1947-1948 Pioneer Days Parade. The Ynez School is in the background. From the Leon R. Walker Collection.
The Gribble boys with pet goats on the front lawn of their home in 1919 or 1920
The Gribble boys with pet goats on the front lawn of their home in 1919 or 1920. The site would later become the Shopping Bag Market. From the Gribble Collection.
A family in front of Hellman Ranch
A family in front of Hellman Ranch. Hellman ranch consisted of ten acres of orchards on the south side of Garvey, between Alhambra, Orange and Edgley. Mr. Ben Tripp was caretaker from 1916-1926. It was owned by I.W. Hellman who lived in Los Angeles and came out to the country to get fresh produce.
The Monterey Park and Fire Departments through the years
The Monterey Park and Fire Departments through the years. The first photo is of the Police and Fire Department in 1930 featuring Fire Chief W.J. Young, Engineer Branham and Officer Ostoich. The second photo is a vintage firetruck from the 1940's. The third photo shows the poliece force and their motorcycles. THe last two pictures are from 2001 of police on motorcycles and firetruck.
The Alma Mater of Charles Carter, the Historical Society President
The Alma Mater of Charles Carter, the Historical Society President.
During the 1960's, Monterey Park residents enjoyed unforgettable evenings of music, laughter and tropical adventure
During the 1960's, Monterey Park residents enjoyed unforgettable evenings of music, laughter and tropical adventure. An 80 foot erupting volcano, paradise gardens, caverns, Polynesian dancers and a forbidden isle were all part of The Tikis on Potrero Grande Drive.
Man standing next to his car on Crest Vista Drive
Man standing next to his car on Crest Vista Drive, looking north to Ridgecrest street in the summer of 1973 in Sequoia Park.
Armando Cabrera painting a mural in the Monterey Park museum
Armando Cabrera painting a mural in the Monterey Park museum.
Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce Safety Fair
Lily Chen in front of a Monterey Park Chamber of Commerce Safety Fair sign. The Safety Fair occured at Ynez School from 10am to 4pm on December 5th in 1981 or 1987. Safeway, Texaco, Monterey Park National Bank, Fireston and Szechwan Restaurant are visible in background.
Dr. Joseph and Charlotte Eiser at Barnes Park in 1988
Dr. Joseph and Charlotte Eiser at Barnes Park in 1988 at a Kiwanis Club Event.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
© 2013 MarkKeppelHighSchoolReunion.org. Site design by gorotron.